PO Box 363
Craig, CO 81626
(970) 272-3000
History of the Area:

Gates of Ladore, the Swinging Bridge, Powell Expedition, Juniper Hot Springs, Brown’s Park, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid….sound familiar? Moffat Limestone Quarry sits in the middle of this epic area! 
Brown’s Park is believed to be a contact point with Native Americans and possibly the location of Fort Davy Crockett, a fur trading post from the mid 1830’s. The isolated valley known as Brown’s Hole was a favorite rendezvous and wintering ground for trappers, even after the fort was abandoned in 1840.

Two-Bar Ranch was once headquarters for one of the largest cattle empires in Colorado and Wyoming. Thomas White was the first to file on this land and began putting up log buildings and structures. In 1910, the subsequent owners sold to the Haley Livestock and Trading Company. At that time, the company ran over 10,000 head of livestock in Moffat County alone. There are many stories surrounding the Two-Bar Ranch about cattle rustling and the legitimacy of the first livestock to be acquired. It’s an interesting story with multiple publishings on different theories.

Four exquisitely preserved Bromide Charcoal Kilns remain in Historic Greystone CO. Dating around 1898, the stone charcoal kilns are the only remaining, intact structures associated with the Bromide Mining and Milling Company’s smelter facility. Operations at the facility extended through the end of World War 1. The beehive shape, is associated with structures used to process wood into charcoal. They have been ranked as the best surviving examples of their form of coke ovens and charcoal kilns in the state of Colorado.

Juniper Hot Springs is just over the hill east of the Quarry. It was established in 1880. According to a US Government analysis in 1939, it contains 24 minerals.  Only two other similar springs exist in the world!  The other two sites are located in Europe.
Although white man claimed the establishment in 1880, Native Americans had been camping near and using the spring for centuries.  Artifacts show that 5 permanent camps were once here. Native Americans called it “Healing Waters”. 
In 1897, Minerva Wing built a general store, US Post Office, hotel, dining room, bath house and livery stable.  Later on in the 1950’s, a resort was built.  It was functional and occupied for many years.  In the 1990’s, the buildings were vacated and burned down due to deterioration. The Hot Springs are sadly now closed off to the public.

Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch claimed Irish Canyon as a hideout. It is rumored that they hid $20,000 somewhere in Irish Canyon that has yet to be retrieved.
A vast array of characters are rumored to have been acquaintances and helpers of the Wild Bunch and the also frequently visited the area.


Fun Facts:
On February 1, 1985 it was -61 degrees in Maybell CO. That is a record low for Colorado and the 5th lowest temperature ever recorded in the United States!

From the 14th – 18th centuries, the Utes roamed and hunted these lands. They lead rather peaceful lives, other than occasionally having to defend their lands from the Arapahoe, Sioux and Cheyenne. When the white man ventured in as explorers, mountain men and fur traders, the Ute assisted them. Early settlers found the Native Americans to be peaceful and friendly. They bartered for sugar, biscuits and medical help in exchange for meat, moccasins and pelts. In the mid-1800’s, gold seekers began harassing and encroaching on Indian territories in the Steamboat Springs vicinity and only then did the Utes show signs of hostility.

In 1882, the northwest territories were opened to homesteaders.  A small but steady stream of pioneers came, cleared land and erected cabins.